The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts.
The State Museum of Fine Arts, named after the famous Russian poet Alexander Pushkin. It houses the biggest art collection in Moscow, earning it a global reputation. It was inaugurated in 1912 as an initiative of the Pectoral Senate of the University, mainly funded by the philanthropist Nechaev.
The nucleus of the collection came from the Hermitage, brought over when the communists transferred the capital of Russia from St. Petersburg to Moscow in 1918, and from the former Rumyantsev Museum in Moscow. It was also the beneficiary of many pieces taken from German museums at the end of World War II. It is well-known for its exhibitions of impressionistic and post-impressionistic art (Renoir, Gauguin, etc), and its collections consist of 14th– 19th century paintings by such artists as Rubens, Rembrandt, and Botticelli, and have grown over time.
The Ancient Art section is particularly intriguing, including Egyptian (more than 6000 items), Assyrian, Babylonian, and Pre-Christian art. The legendary “Treasures of Troy”, taken from the Pergamon Museum in Berlin, are displayed in the Museum’s famous room #7.